Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good Birds Reported Today on Mich-Listers


    With the help of 2 birders whose names I didn't get, I viewed a Western Grebe at the end of the south pier at Grand Haven; I was standing 1/2 way down the south pier and the bird was on the south side of it.  Also with their help, I viewed the Harlequin Duck which was hanging rather tight to the north side of the north pier; not very conveniently viewed from the base of the north pier.
    At the end of my short jaunt, and from the parking lot near the north pier, a Western Grebe flew west down the channel towards the end of the piers.  Was this the reported 2nd grebe or did the other one move around a bit while I searched for the Harlequin?
    2 Horned Grebes, 1 adult male White-winged Scoter, 1 adult male Surf Scoter, 1 female Hooded Merganser, and a Long-tailed Duck along with the other typical fare made for a nice (and cold) outing.
    As you can imagine the piers are nearly completely ice-covered and rather treacherous; use caution!
    Good birding,
          - Mike Overway
- - - - -

There was a Ross's Goose with 1000 Canada Geese near the Administration Building today at the Muskegon County Wastewater System.

          - John Lowry (from my iPhone)
.

No comments: