Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Broad-winged Hawk


August 12 Email:

Hey Ric, I heard the call of this Broad-winged Hawk near a creek on our property.  I wandered out to it and found this perched up in a tree on the bank of the creek.  I was wondering how common the broad winged hawks are around here?  Thanks,  - Casey Irwin


They're not uncommon around here but they can be hard to find in the summer unless you're near a nest or hear them calling.  The last two years I've been lucky to have a nest near my house.  Looks like you've probably got a nest near your place too.  There have been a few years when I've not seen a broadwing until the fall migration.  - Ric

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I might have a nest near by too Ric, this hawk (or another broad winged) took out some robins hatchlings from the nest about a week ago, I've been hearing the hawks call more and more often as of lately

Ric said...

The parents from our nest took out several robin babies in our neighborhood while their chicks were still on the nest. One or two of the chicks fledged, and broadwings are still vocalizing everyday, and at least one of the young hawks perches regularly in a tree across the street.