Thursday, April 23, 2020

Can We Identify This Osprey?



April 22 Email:

Hello Ric:

I hope that you are well.  I have noticed an Osprey by where I live in Croton that is banded.  I was wondering if there are any resources that could provide information about such a band.  I see that it has the letters "SV" written clearly on a blue band on its leg.  I am just curious about the history of the bird.  Thanks! 

Best,

- Kevin Feenstra

Kevin, I'm doing well.  Thanks for the picture and information.  In addition to the "SV" on the blue band, I think the numbers "138" are identifiable on the silver band.  Please let us know if that's incorrect.  Yes, there are sources to help identify this bird.  Begin at the USGS Bird Banding Lab website.  Meanwhile I'll contact a few people in this area who do bird banding and let you know what they think.  I'll also post their comments here if that's okay with them.  - Ric

No comments: