Friday, November 26, 2010

Gyrfalcon and Cackling Goose - Friday

.
Originally Posted to U of M Birders Listserve:

Subject: Gyrfalcon Muskegon Co 11/26
From: David Pavlik
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:58:32 -0500

Birders,

My dad and I braved the wicked weather hoping for a Kittiwake at Pere Marquette in Muskegon County today. No Kittiwake to be seen (we didn't try too hard) but after getting back to the car, we noticed a large falcon flying south along the beach. Initial looks were less than par, but enough to warrant us to follow it down the beach. We caught up just as it was soaring above us and were treated to nice looks at a Gyrfalcon (juvenile dark morph, I think? ... and life bird for my dad!). I managed some crummy pictures. The bird kept heading south and despite a minor bit of searching, we found nothing. Could still be around, but I think we just got lucky.

Only other bird of note, I guess, was a Cackling Goose at Muskegon Wastewater.

Good Birding,

Jeff and David Pavlik

Posted by Caleb Putnam
.

No comments: