Friday, July 8, 2011

Sandhill Cranes Family Behavior

.
I took an evening ride to the Wastewater last night (July 7) and found a pair of Sandhill Cranes with a chick.  They were very near the intersection of White and Swanson Roads on Swanson just south of the maintenance building.  When I first found them, I saw a pair of cranes in the middle of the road.  One crane went one way and the other bird went the other way.  I drove up to where the birds were and the one bird started acting injured.  I took a couple of photos of this bird and then looked across the road from where the bird was and found the chick lying in the grass right beside the road.  The other adult was on the other side of the ditch by this time.  The bird that was acting injured flew across the road toward the chick, and she led the chick away into the grass. Here are some photos.
.
Rick Hamlin
.




.

No comments: