Thursday, March 14, 2013

"The Littles" and White-winged Scoters












I spent a little time at the Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve today getting some of the smaller species as Mona Lake was (when I was there) down to the two residents and two immature Bald Eagles.  I ended up with a Mourning Dove, American Tree Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, male House Finch, male Northern Cardinal, female House Finch*, Female Northern Cardinal, male House Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, and last but not least, the Common Grackle.  Please excuse the focus as I've needed to fine-tune my len's "micro-adjustment" but just haven't had the time to do the final steps (getting closer though, Charlie).

If I missed the correct I.D.s on the sparrows, someone correct me -- I'm terrible with sparrows :)

- Mike VanderStelt

*  Mike, except for the bird between the cardinals being a female House Sparrow, I think you knocked out the sparrows. If these are out-of-focus then we'd better wear protective goggles after you make those micro-adjustments.  By the way, Greg DeWeerd emailed today that there are still White-winged Scoters in the Grand River Channel in downtown Grand Haven.  - Ric


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, these shots are crystal clear! I especially like the Cardinals. I think you gave all the birds treats to pose for you!

Anonymous said...

Sandy DeVries (above comment)

Ric said...

Today Mike emailed me a couple of rainy day sample photos of a tree sparrow after he'd made the lens adjustment He's right, the new pictures are even sharper than these! Stay tuned for Mike's next offerings.

framework said...

No Sandy,
they just know I'm too old & worn to chase them down, I.E. they're safest perch is anywhere close to me