Sunday, April 14, 2013

What Sticks Twigs in the Ground This Way?


This morning my brother-in-law told me he had dozens of twigs sticking in his lawn under his walnut tree.  I went over and saw them.  Then I tried to Google and Bing what was going on but could only find this video of what appears to be the same phenomenon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ4s_Tf_UZ8

At my brother-in-law's they're not between bricks, they're just randomly in the lawn, and only under the walnut tree (which is huge, branches overhanging much of his back yard).  I cannot find an answer online but would appreciate any and all comments.  Thanks!

- Ric

2 comments:

Ric said...

Thanks to Chip Francke for making the following comment which he inadvertently made under the post above:

"I don't have an answer, but here is some information that might be helpful. Those are not twigs, but are the leaf petioles from the large compund leaves of the walnut tree. Each walnut leaf has a number of leaflets attached to the petiole. These leaflets fall off the petiole in the fall and the petioles also fall to the ground. It could be that something is after the leaflets and pulls the leaflet underground while it is attached to the petiole. The result is the petiole is stuck in the ground. I guess it is being pulled down underground and not being buried from above ground. I would check the tree weekly as soon as the leaves begin to fall to see exasctly when this is occurring." - Chip Francke

April 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM

johnny said...

It must be the night crawlers taking them down... We are in Minnesota and have the same thing going on all over the lawn...Walnut trees