Saturday, November 30, 2013

Golden Eagle/s at Wastewater Friday


November 29 Email:

I was at the Muskegon Wastewater facility today and shot photos of what I think are a pair of Golden Eagles. I'm almost positive one is a Golden, but when the two were together in a tree, they were too far away for a positive ID, especially with all the juvenile Bald Eagles that I was seeing during the same time frame.  I'm attaching a couple of photos.  If you'd like to post them to the website, please feel free to do so. I'd very much like feedback as to whether it is a Golden or juvenile Bald Eagle. Thanks.

- Jerry Vis






Thanks, Jerry.  Yes, your pictures are of an adult Golden Eagle (or two if these are different birds) with golden nape, non-blotchy plumage, slightly lighter flight feathers and smaller beak -- not an immature Bald.  Great shots!  Even if this is just one bird, if it perched near another in the same tree, I'd think the other was also a Golden, but that's just a guess.  - Ric

2 comments:

Jeff Moore said...

Great photos! I hope the Golden Eagles stick around for the winter -- I probably won't be out that way until Christmas Break!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help with the ID Ric.

I first saw the golden perched on a power pole north of the east lagoon. Eventually, it flew off farther north and landed in a tree. I was also watching half a dozen bald eagles on the ice of the lagoon, fighting over a kill one had made. Several more juvenile bald eagles were in the air around me. I looked back for the golden, but it was no longer in the same tree, but there were two eagles even farther north that looked as if they were both golden. Later in the day, I saw one of the goldens again, perched in a tree in one of the woodlots at the north end of the wastewater property.