Thursday, February 19, 2015

Muskegon Channel Eider Update and Photo


To Mich-chat Feb. 18 at 6:47 p.m.:

After comparing the December common eider and the current common eider in Muskegon (see Marc Miedema's Feb. 17 post below), I'm not convinced they are the same bird.  However, I don't know how much the head pattern can change in a matter of six weeks through wear or molt.  The head pattern on these two birds is definitely different.  The Muskegon bird also seems darker brown, but that might just be the lighting conditions. I don't think I am supposed to attach photos in Mich-chat, so if you want to see the photos of both birds, send me an email and I'll send them to you.  Please respond with your thoughts after you view the photos.

- Chip Francke

This is Chip's photo from yesterday of the Muskegon eider.

1 comment:

Charlie DeWitt said...

I checked the Muskegon channel today Fri. and it was completely frozen over. No Eider.

Charlie DeWitt