Saturday, May 2, 2015

Shorebird ID Questions: Comments Welcome


May 2 Email:

I spent nearly 6 hours at the Wastewater yesterday (Friday, May 1st) (mostly north of Apple Ave.). Late afternoon I saw a number of small shorebirds I am stymied by.  Perhaps you can help (I’ve attached some photos).  I first thought they were White-rumped Sandpipers but do not see the white-rump.  Could they be Baird's Sandpipers? Looking at All About Birds, Baird’s do not appear to migrate through Michigan. Or, am I way off-base and they are Semipalmated Sandpiper.  Since you are familiar with the WW and surrounding area, I hope you can help.  I’ve also attached a view of the WW showing where I saw these birds. Additionally, there was a Greater Yellowlegs, several Killdeer, and what I think is a Long-billed Dowitcher (I’m not good with sandpipers…lol).  Thanks in advance.

~John Poindexter

John, White-rumped and Baird's can both be at the Wastewater. I'm not the one you want ID-ing shorebirds, but here are your photos.  Look at this page for the next few days for comments from people who are good at it.  - Ric






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The small brown shorebirds in photos 2 and 3 are pectoral sandpipers.

Chip Francke

John Poindexter said...

Thank you!