Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Winter Birds at Two Locations Tuesday


 Rough-legged Hawk
On White Road at the Wastewater by the rocket field

 Rough-legged Hawk

 Snow Geese
In Wastewater Field 19 on the NW corner of White and Swanson I counted 20 Snow Geese
15 white morph and 5 blue morph.

 Canada Geese
I spent 45 minutes watching geese come into Field 19.
The geese were packed in too tight to try to count.
My guess is well over 1,000 on that field.

After the Wastewater I took a trip to downtown Muskegon to look for the Snowy Owl.  No Luck!  Then I went to the Muskegon Channel to look for waterfowl.  There were a few ducks flying,  If you look closely, you can see a merganser (species) flying over the north break wall.

- Charlie DeWitt

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a weird looking Canada goose in the flock. Has more white on the face and neck than the other ones. It's in that group of seven on the right. It's the bottom one. You can see it while zoomed in. My guess would be that Merganser is Red-breasted, but I could be wrong.

Ric said...

Good eye, Lizzy. That bird does seem to have a lighter nape than any other bird in the flock. It could be plumage or it could be lighting. Everything else about it looks like the Canadas it's flying with.