Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Lizzy Report from Muskegon on Saturday


May 8 Email:  

Hi, Ric!  I know you aren't at the computer right now, but you can view this once you get back. :)  (Lizzy is referring to our group's Berrien County field trip.  Click here for details.)

Mr. Fyfe and I went birding in Muskegon this Saturday (5-6-17) and found some good stuff! 

First off, the pair of Piping Plovers is still at Muskegon SP.  I'm cheering them on this year since they need every last bit of support they can get. 

We then swung over to the north side of the lake channel, which is still in Muskegon SP.  Suddenly, a Northern Mockingbird popped up over the top of a pine tree and stood there long enough for me to get just one picture, then it flew north over our heads, showing off its long tail and black and white flashing wing pattern. This would be my first ever Mockingbird for Muskegon!  It was quite surprising, and I'm still having a hard time comprehending it.  We walked into the wooded dunes and then came to a clearing, where he was heard singing.  I got audio of him singing, and a picture.   As I had suspected, it was flagged by eBird.


Then we swung by Snug Harbor Marsh, picking up some Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and the one warbler I had suspected to be there: the Black-throated Green Warbler.  My favorite!  There were at least three just singing their hearts out. 

Then we drove over to Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve to try for any bitterns, gallinules, and whatever else the marsh had to offer.  Gray Catbirds are in large numbers now.  A Sharp-shinned Hawk flew over our heads at one point.  We also called out some Marsh Wrens, and I got some good pictures of one that got about 5 ft from us. 


We tried to get into Lane's Landing because I've heard some good stuff is over there (Yellow-throated Vireos, both bitterns, gallinules, basically stuff that I still need for the year list) but we got stopped short by a fallen tree on the road. Tried to move the thing, but this tree was quite long and was anchored into the ground pretty well. We just turned around and left at that point.

Made a stop over near the Muskegon SGA HQ and picked up a first of the year American Redstart, and also saw a female Hooded Merganser.  Also saw a pair of Belted Kingfishers mating. 

Our main focus at the MWW was shorebirds and gulls.  We wanted those Long-billed Dowitchers, and the Franklin's + Laughing Gulls, but none of those showed up for us.  We had very little variety in shorebirds but were able to find some Least Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Spotted Sandpipers and Vesper Sparrows seemed to be out in force.  We ended up wanting to find one, and once we found one, we continued to find more after that.  I got some pictures of one with some very nice color on his shoulder. 


We also had a Common Raven fly over us at S Moorland Rd, right by Wilson. Four American Crows were attacking the poor thing. 

I hope you're enjoying your Berrien County experience!  ... Enjoy your trip, and hear from you soon!
Lizzy Kibbey (Duck Wizard)

2 comments:

Ric said...

Lizzy, I'm back now. Thanks for the detailed report. Yes we got the Eurasian Collared-Doves at White Oaks; we did not try for a Fish Crow. As you can see from the report on our homepage, our best bird was the Prairie Warbler at Warren Dunes.

Unknown said...

I am monitoring the plovers at MSP.