Saturday, January 20, 2018

Perhaps a Snowy Owl?


After posting this morning's field trip on our homepage and the redpoll/siskin report (below), I found this email from Charlie DeWitt (who was on today's trip):

Ric, I think we have better than a 75% chance that the "white bump" on Muskegon Lake was a snowy.  Look at the lighting in the two pictures.  It appears to show movement.  You still can't blow the picture up and get detail, but I think it shows movement.

Chas

Below are the two pictures Charlie sent.  But before looking at them, please be aware that if that is a Snowy Owl, all credit goes to Susan Herrick who somehow saw it from the nature preserve way way way way out on the ice of Muskegon Lake.  Our group had no spotting scope, but Charlie's telephoto lens was the next best thing, and these photos are the result:  



Comments welcome!

- Ric


3 comments:

Ken Sapkowski said...

I'm now buying into it!

Ric said...

So am I. On my iPad I can click Charlie's photos back and forth on top of each other and see the animated movement.

Susan Herrick said...

Wonderful, happy it turned out to be a snowy owl. Thank you Charlie and Ric and the Muskegon County Nature club field trip people. You'all are spectacular making sure everyone sees each bird if they want to.