Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Mississippi Kite at Muskegon River Today


June 5 Email:

I am a fishing guide and occasionally see really neat birds on the Muskegon River.   

Today I saw something I have never seen before.  There was a raptor flying over the river; I thought by its profile that it was a peregrine falcon.  I shot some images but never got very close.   

I was surprised when I looked at the images that it looked like a kite species; I believe a Mississippi Kite.  I have attached pics; could you confirm this ID?  The quality is not the greatest as I could not get real close. 

Thank you, 

- Kevin Feenstra






Kevin, I think you ID'd the bird correctly.  I've only seen kites a couple times in my life so have emailed others for their opinions.  I'll post their comments here and of course anyone is welcome to add their comments below.  The only other eBird sighting of a Mississippi Kite in West Michigan was down near Holland on May 12, 2014.  There's no need to apologize for the quality of these photos!  They've captured the bird wonderfully.  Thanks for sending them!  - Ric

3 comments:

Ric said...

Kevin watched the bird for over an hour between 1:30 and 3:00 Tuesday afternoon about a quarter mile downstream from the Croton Dam boat launch.

Caleb Putnam said...

Any sightings today ?

Kevin Feenstra said...

I was in that area during the morning hours but did not see the kite today. If I see it again I will let you know quickly.