Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Soft and Hard Birds at Pere Marquette Park


 Purple Sandpiper

 Long-tailed Duck

Carryliteus Plasticus 

On Tuesday I went to the Muskegon south pier looking for the Purple Sandpiper (posted below) and I found it!  That's #212 for the year.  There were also 3 Long-tailed Ducks.

On the way back to my truck I noticed a duck along the shore in some brush, just past the high water mark.  After a long slow approach, I was able to get close enough to grab it.  When I got it in my hand, it was very docile.   It must have been a captive at one time because there was a length of string on it.  Upon closer inspection, I found it to be a Carryliteus Plasticus.  When I turned it over, there was the unmistakable sound of BB's rattling inside.  So I thought the only humane thing to do was bring it home.

(Carryliteus Plasticus originates in Italy.  It comes in many colors and shapes and imitates most North American waterfowl.  It starts to be seen on lakes and ponds in the U.S. around mid-September until late November.  It can be seen in flocks as small as six and as large as dozens, oftentimes near boats.)

- Charlie DeWitt

2 comments:

Ric said...

Charlie, thanks for the report. I'm not sure why you posted #212, however, since nobody's counting. By the way, wasn't "plasticus" also the sub-species of Canvasback you identified for us on Saturday out by the loud booming sounds at Snug Harbor? - Ric

Charlie DeWitt said...

Yes, plasticus has many forms.