Saturday, August 31, 2019

Quiet Saturday Morning at the Preserve


I spent two hours at the Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve this morning.  The boardwalk along the river was no longer barricaded!


Water was still high.  Portions of the two-track were impassable.


Some paths within the preserve were unwalkable.  This portion of the east boardwalk was still submerged: 


Although I counted 25 bird species in two hours, the preserve was relatively quiet.  I could not positively identify this flycatcher (Eastern Wood Pewee?  Willow or Alder Flycatcher?). 


The 12-15 Song Sparrows were all in small (family?) groups.  


There were at least a dozen Double-crested Cormorants and perhaps as many chipmunks.  Other birds of note included Green Heron, Bald Eagle, Warbling Vireo, Marsh Wren and a pair of Mourning Doves that flew without making any wing-sound.  I had read that this was possible, but today was the first time I'd experienced it.  

- Ric

No comments: