Saturday, September 26, 2020

Hudsonian Godwits etc. Saturday Morning


Brenda Eikenberry and Ken Sapkowski phoned shortly after noon that they were heading for the Wastewater to see two Hudsonian Godwits reported this morning on the pipe near the northwest corner of the east lagoon.

I had considered birding the Wastewater this morning, but instead walked Ottawa Sands County Park.  The closest thing to godwits were these Pied-billed Grebes.


I took this picture "for the record" figuring I could get closer for a better shot.  Well, I got closer, but they knew I was there and submerged.  Two minutes later I saw just the head of one spying on me from the lake grass for a few seconds.  That was it until much later as I was heading for my car and saw them far off on the surface again (laughing).

Other birds of interest included a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, three Red-tailed Hawks spending their morning around the eagle-nest dune, lots of Blue Jays flying around in flocks (one of 48 birds), and three probably-migrating species (3 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 1 American Kestrel, and 1 adult Red-headed Woodpecker flying southbound over the trees southwest of the lake).

- Ric

No comments: