Monday, June 6, 2022

Probably Gone, Definitely Not Forgotten

Late last month a wayward bird brought people together in my neighborhood.  See the posts below for details.  

Hundreds of bird-watchers mingled with the residents of Kathryn, Wilfred and Jensen Streets in an un-planned block party.  Rare bird gatherings do not always bring such amicable results; I'm glad they did for us.

My back-door neighbors on Wilfred received many thank-you's, some small tokens of appreciation, and the official recognition they deserve for first recognizing that the woodpecker on their feeder was special: the only sighting ever of this species in the lower peninsula of Michigan!

My chess-playing buddy on Jensen welcomed hundreds of people to his "Important Bird Area" (back yard).  And today my neighbor on Kathryn, a professional artist, brought me this print of a painting he created in honor of the bird.

Lewis's Woodpecker by Bryan Snuffer

Bryan does not paint birds!  You'll see this immediately if you go to his website: bryansnuffer.com.  But obviously he can paint birds!

He also did not paint this one for profit!  However, in asking him if I might post the picture on my blog, I asked if anyone else might order a print if they wanted one.  Yup.  $25 for an 8.5 x 11 suitable for framing.  

There's a slim possibility that the Lewis's Woodpecker is still around, but I doubt it.  I hope it headed west and will soon find where it belongs.  Thanks for leaving us with some wonderful memories!

2 comments:

Chip Francke said...

Great artist rendition of the woodpecker. He should do more birds. How does one go about purchasing one?

Ric said...

To purchase one, click on Bryan’s website in the post, click “Shop”, find the woodpecker print, and follow the directions for buying.