Friday, May 13, 2011

Thursday Birds

.
It has been about a week since I visited the Wastewater.  I spent a couple of hours out there today (May 12) and found several new birds.  I found about 50 Dunlin and what I believe are Least Sandpiper in one of the areas north of the west lagoon.  I think they are called the dry cells.  These birds were very small.  There was a Killdeer in the same area and the little shore birds looked to be about 3/4 the size of the Killdeer.   I also found a Bobolink in the same area hanging out with the blackbirds.  I saw several Upland Sandpipers in the dry cell area as well.  There were 9 Turkey Vultures sitting in one of the freshly plowed fields.  It seemed like the Eastern Kingbirds were around every corner.  Spotted Sandpipers were seen several times as I traveled around the lagoons.  I also saw Horned, Eared and Pied-billed Grebe in the east lagoon.  I am including a photo of the last Great Horned Owl photo that I got of the owlet and adult on the nest.  I stopped by to check on them today and as I got out of my truck, I could hear the crows going crazy.  Shortly after that, I saw the owlet flying across a field with a crow entourage.  My wife and I have been watching this nest since early March.  Many thanks to Dan Lockard for the info.

Rick Hamlin
.








.

No comments: