Friday, April 13, 2012

Crane Foundation Identifies Whooping Crane

.
April 13 Email:
.
We did get some photos* of the bird with leg bands and it is NOT the crane I thought it might have been, but rather a two-year-old female who summered in Wisconsin last year and wintered with Sandhill Cranes in Citrus County, Florida, this past winter.  She is only about 60-70 or so miles from where our five-year-old male was reported recently. I’m hoping that they will find each other!

Eva Szyszkoski
International Crane Foundation
.
* Don Neumann's photos posted below.

1 comment:

sissypants said...

Very very cool!!!!!

For future Whooper Chasers: I found the bird with great difficulty this evening at precisely 43.051909,-86.079426. It took about 40 minutes of driving and then 5 minutes of standing in this spot before I saw a white head pop above a ledge in the distant corner of this field. This is the second field north of the woods/water at the southern end of 120th St. Far in the northeast section of this field there is a crest (ledge) and then a big dip. The majority of cranes in this area seemed to be feeding out of sight from all angles of the road sheltered by this ledge. The Whooping Crane showed itself only very briefly while I was there. My eBird checklist number is S10438201

Good luck if you chase it!

Charlie: The Harris's Sparrow I'll find tomorrow will be #124 on my Michigan yearlist. And I still need Eared Grebe.