Sunday, July 14, 2019

Northside Birding Saturday Morning


I had planned to spend the morning at the Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve, but high water prevented that.  Only the northwest corner was accessible so only an hour was needed.  Birds were plentiful.  I found 16 species, none unusual, the "best" probably a Green Heron.

I also met a man who showed me a blurry cell phone photo of what he thought might be a Northern Goshawk taken recently on marsh habitat near River Road.  From the picture and his description of its size compared with the crows harrassing it, I think he I.D.'d it correctly.  If so, a very good species this far south in the summertime!

I spent the rest of the morning walking around Snug Harbor.  This Common Yellowthroat sang from the woods north of the walking planks on the new section of the Lost Lake Trail.  


Other birds among the 24 species included Alder and Great Crested Flycatcher, Indigo Bunting, lots of Eastern Bluebirds, and a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers (my 170th year species if I were counting) near the boat launch parking lot.

- Ric

No comments: