Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Few from Wastewater Yesterday Afternoon

.









Got these pictures (Red Tailed Hawk, Sandhill Crane, Painted Turtle, and Hooded Merganser?) yesterday afternoon.  The hawk (see feet) was dining as I approached, and if you look at a large version of the turtle, you'll see a blood spot below its head -- that's where the leech was attached that I found after picking him up to move him off the road. Using my highly skilled talent as a surgeon, I made a deal with the turtle -- if I remove it, I get a picture! He agreed, though as you can see, he was a little camera-shy (and you thought Mike Moran was the ONLY one who "talked to the animals").   :)

- Mike VanderStelt
.

4 comments:

Don Neumann said...

Mike left you a comment but it posted on Charlie's previous..no clue why as I was looking at your pics...

Mike VanderStelt said...

Don,Don,Don,
We ALL know by now that Charlie wants credit for my shots -- he OBVIOUSLY tried to "pirate" my pictures, and got your text instead! He'such an amatuer! :)

Ric said...

Thanks to Carolyn Weng for emailing: "Ric, Mike V's turtle is a painted turtle, not a box turtle. Box turtles have a domed carapace."

Mike VanderStelt said...

MMMM, he seemed some-what suspicious when we made the Leech/picture deal, and I, in-fact, DID go through my usual ck. list 1) no sign of an "artsy aire" of superiority, 2) no signature in the Shell's bottom rt. corner 3) no "wet paint" sign, 4) no Frame or wire to hang him on the wall. The preponerance of evidence added up as far as I was concerned! JEEEZ - dupped again, when will I learn! :)