Monday, September 20, 2010

MLNP banding highlights, September

.
For the fifth consecutive autumn, I have been operating the bird banding station at Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve as my schedule permits. Although I have not opened many days, and I have only used a few nets, the daily capture rate has been quite high. Currently, the seasonal total is 254 birds.


In 2008, I only captured 5 Blackpoll Warblers. None were encountered the following year. This year I have banded 12 so far.


I did very little banding in August, so I missed many warblers. However, two Blue-winged Warblers represent a seasonal high.


Warbling Vireos are similar in appearance to Philadelphia Vireos and are common late in the summer. Philadephia Vireos arrive later in the season, and after September 15 they outnumber Warbling Vireos, but they are less numerous in general. So far, this year I have banded 13 Warbling and 2 Philadelphia (including this individual).


This male Black-throated Blue Warbler is the first record from the Preserve.

Daily high records include the following:
Warbling Vireo, 11 on Sept 3
Swainson's Thrush, 9 on Sept 14
American Redstart, 9 on Sept 3
Scarlet Tanager, 2 on Sept 17

Record early fall arrivals at MLNP include the following:
Winter Wren on Sept 17
Golden-crowned Kinglet on Sept 16
Gray-cheeked Thrush on Sept 3
Orange-crowned Warbler on Sept 20
Myrtle Warbler on Sept 8
.
- Brian Johnson
.

No comments: