Saturday, May 14, 2011

Of Swans, Mockingbirds and Other Good Stuff

.
With the Ibis identified and my North American Migration Count numbers tallied and sent to Brian, I'm going to lump a few items into one post to save time:
.
1.  Keven Feenstra emailed and sent a photo:
.
Hi Ric:

I look at the Muskegon bird blog all of the time and really appreciate it.  I was just wondering if you could help me ID this bird.   I see a lot of swans but noticed this one that was segregated from the mute swans.    Could someone positively ID it for me?  I suspect it is a trumpeter swan but am not sure.  The bird is in the Newaygo area.

Thank you,

Kevin Feenstra




I replied that the mark in front of the eye made me think Tundra rather than Trumpeter, but that I'd post the picture to see what anyone else thought.  Comments welcome.

2.  Phil Vreeman emailed some photos he took of the Ibis to help with its identification, but since Caleb has already ID'd the bird using Bruce's photos, there's no need to post Phil's.
.
However, Phil also mentioned this other stuff from Friday (May 13):

"... the female Harlequin Duck continues at Pere Marquette; I had 3 Hooded Warblers and a Black-throated Blue Warbler in the mix at PJ Hoffmaster.  At Lane's Landing the Willow Flycatchers are back in force; also, a pair of Bald Eagles, Virginia RailSoraFox Sparrow, and some warblers (the usual suspects plus Magnolia and American Redstart).  Then at the Wastewater I had mostly usual suspects; I did find two Grasshopper and one Vesper Sparrow, 8 Horned Grebe and 1 Eared Grebe.  The highlight here I almost missed if it wasn't for Carolyn was, of course, the Ibis ..." - Phil
.
3.  Feller DeWitt phoned today to say that he had a Northern Mockingbird near the entrance to the Cobb Plant this morning while doing his North American Migration Count.
.
NOTICE:  Feller emailed later: " The Mockingbird flew out of the bushes along side of the electric gate that goes back to the old city dump just south-east of the Causeway. It flew into a tall tree just to the West of the road, rested about 30 seconds and flew down to the bike trail then up on to the fence that encloses the Cobb plant property. It was about 100 feet south of the guard shack. Due to all the activity on the bike trail today this bird is probably not chasable.
.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Moore said...

Tundra Swan - great photo! Thanks for sharing!