Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ctenucha Moth

.
.
What does a Ctenucha Moth have to do with birding?  Let me tell you.  On Tuesday afternoon I took a photo walk at the Norton Shores leaf dump on Wood Road to see if I could get some fall color pictures or other interesting close ups.  So I leave my big telephoto lens and binoculars home.  Big mistake! The area was full of birds.
.
Here is a list of what I could identify: Red-tailed Hawk, American Robin, Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, American Crow, Eastern Towhee, Black-capped Chickadee, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Thrush species, Wren species, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Wood Duck, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Ring-necked Duck and 20 Dark-eyed Juncos.  There were other small birds in the woods, but without my binoculars I could not identify them.  Maybe next time I will bring the binoculars.
.
- Charlie DeWitt
.
Charlie's moth picture should be seen in all its detail.  To do so, follow the "About This Page" directions in the left column.  - Ric
.
.

1 comment:

Ric said...

It's the "nature" club, not the "bird" club, so Ctenucha Moths are as welcome as hawks and juncos. Good to see another post and photo from you, Charlie!