Monday, October 3, 2011

Pipits and More at Wastewater October 1-2

.
A few shots from the Wastewater Saturday and Sunday. There were 30-40 Turkey Vultures in the road between the dump and east lagoon.


This Sanderling (or is it a Semipalmated Sandpiper) was along the east side of east lagoon as were the American Pipits, as noted by Kathryn.



Portrait of a Great Blue Heron in the east lagoon also.


And in the NW corner of the west lagoon was a group of 20-30 Bonaparte and nonbreeding Little Gulls. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the Little Gulls, could be Bonapartes, but no black on wings.)*



Don Neumann
.
*  Don, I don't do gulls, but I'm pretty sure that Little Gulls at the Wastewater would be quite remarkable.  We'll see if others more knowledgeable will post their comments about the gulls or your shorebird (which I also think is a Sanderling).  - Ric
.
.

1 comment:

Don said...

Ric, I sort of thought the same thing about the Little Gulls. The gulls with the black markings were interacting with each other (as in picture) leaving the others(grey winged)alone. So it just seems they may be different gulls