Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Opinions About This Hummingbird Requested


I ran across this hummingbird this morning and after several hours of waiting to take its picture, I gave up and just set up for video.  Click here for the YouTube link.  Excuse my slightly missed focus as I (don't laugh) forgot to take my camera off manual focus for the video.  In any event, it's good enough to get some opinions of the "strange" white streak on the back of its head.  Please post your comments.

Mike VanderStelt

1 comment:

Ric said...

Mike phoned me about this bird and noted that the white on the head is brighter than the white on the belly. We discussed the possibility of its having some abinistic feathers or someone having painted the bird to identify it later. Having now looked at the video, I think it's an accidental spot, either albinistic feathers or an unintentional encounter with white paint. The spot is so off-center left that it doesn't appear to me to be intentionally painted there. Mike and I are both interested in hearing what others think about it.