Monday, October 7, 2013

Explanation, Photos and Report


Oct. 8 Explanation: The following photos and report are Charlie's  He has had computer problems recently preventing him from editing his posts, so he's been emailing me whenever he posts so I can edit.  Last night he emailed ... 

Ric, I posted three pictures to the web page, Yellow-rumped Warbler, American Pipit and Solitary Sandpiper in that order.

... but between then and now, Anonymous commented about the I.D. of the middle bird apparently thinking Charlie had posted it as a Palm Warbler and also wondering if it might not be a Sprague's Pipit.  I'll leave that question to others more qualified, but we're all in agreement that the middle bird is a pipit.  My apologies for not editing last night when I first read Charlie's email.  - Ric




I spent four hours at the Muskegon County Wastewater today, two hours just going around the large lagoons.  Mostly the same old ducks.  I did have 147 Ring-necked Ducks in one flock; that was new for the fall season for me.  In the small pond at the north end of the center dike on the west side of the road there were some shorebirds.  Lesser Yellowlegs, Greater Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, Sanderling, Solitary Sandpiper and Baird's SandpiperI had two warbler species: Yellow-rumped and Palm.  I had a total of 44 species for the day.

- Charlie DeWitt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's look at this Palm Warbler again. I see two white outside stripes on the outside of tail, like in a junco. It has stripes on the back and on top of the head. It has very bright yellow on bill and a white eye ring. It has white under tail coverts. Finally, it has very long hind claws. Could this be a SPRAUGE'S PIPIT?

Ric said...

Apologies again to Anonymous for assuming we were ID-ing the middle bird as a Palm Warbler. I wish I had edited sooner. Now that I've looked at the Sibley guide, I'd say the pipit is American not Sprague's due to the distinct lines on the face (Sprague's has "blank face" according to Sibley), the streaking on the flanks, plus the American's being common here this time of year and the Sprague's would be far from its range, though possible.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ric and Charlie for clearing this up. I will go with American Pipit, too. The leg color should be yellow, but wasn't sure because of the lighting.