Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday Full of Birds


Some of us conducted North American Migration Counts today for Brian Johnson (who spent his day counting at SGA; he may post his sightings later).

I had 39 species at the Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve including Least Flycatcher, Black-and-White, Orange-crowned, Blue-winged and Nashville Warblers, Northern Waterthrush, and three American White Pelicans on the sandbar in Muskegon Lake southwest of the preserve.

Later along the easement from Quarterline Road to Black Creek in Fruitport Township I counted 37 species including Least and Great Crested Flycatchers, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos (and probably Blue-headed, but could not find the source of the singing), Ovenbird, American Redstart, Black-and-white, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided Warblers, (and probably Northern Waterthrush, but could not find the source of the singing) and the morning's highlight: a pair of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers tending their nest.

- Ric

Meanwhile, Travis Dewys writes: "I spent some time at Wastewater today in search of the White-faced Ibis that has been recorded there this week.  No luck, but I was still able to get some decent photos of some spring birds.  I really need to stop driving 30 miles to hopefully see one bird.  I was also able to find my first Bay-breasted Warbler and my first Virginia Rail that I actually saw, not just heard."


Travis's photos are of Dunlin, Green Heron, and what looks like one of the Dowitcher species.




No comments: