Saturday, September 13, 2014

Wastewater and State Game Area Saturday


Lake Effect clouds and reports of the Sabine's Gull took me east this morning.  Miles McNally saw the gull near the center churning lagoon at Wastewater five minutes before I arrived at 8:45.  No one else (including Rick Brigham, Steve Minard and Phil Vreeman) saw it while I was there.

I left at 9:30 and spent the next two hours at State Game Area walking along the Maple River from headquarters out toward Lane's Landing.  The only warbler was Common Yellowthroat.

Other sightings among twenty species included two Sandhill Cranes, several Wood Ducks, a Red-shouldered Hawk and this Lincoln's Sparrow.

- Ric


2 comments:

Charlie DeWitt said...

Ric, just to let you know, Small Game season starts on Sept 15 and Archery Deer season on Oct 1. If you are going to be in the State Game Area it would be a good idea to have some hunter orange on.

Charlie DeWitt

Ric said...

Charlie, that's a good tip! Yesterday I had planned to check Flower Creek Dunes Nature Preserve to preview next weekend's field trip, but switched to WW and SGA when I saw rain up there on the radar. I gave no thought to hunters, but by the 15th I'll either stay away from the SGA or break out my international orange binoculars. Thanks!