Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Three Channel Photos from Monday


March 2 Email:

It was a lovely day at the Muskegon Channel this afternoon. Even the ordinary Mallards looked stunning in the sunshine.  I attached a Scaup.  I don't know whether it's a greater or lesser.  I don't know how to tell the difference!  I have a question about the last two ducks.  Are they both Common Goldeneye?  I've never seen a female one without the little orangeish tip on the end of the bill.  Thanks!

- Roxanne Eacker




Thanks, Roxanne.  It looks like a Greater Scaup (rounded top of head, not pointed) and two female Common Goldeneyes to me.  I don't know if the orangish-bill tip indicates anything or not.  Check the comments later to see if someone lets us know.  - Ric

3 comments:

Andy said...

Both Goldeneyes are Common. The first one, with the orange bill tip, is an adult female. The second one, with the all dark bill, is a juvenile.

Anonymous said...

A-ha! Thank you!

Roxanne

Anonymous said...

If you see a goldeneye that has yellow covering 3/4 or more of the beak, it would be a Barrow's.