Thursday, April 30, 2015

Good Day for Sparrows


Before today I had five sparrow species in Michigan this year (Tree, Chipping, House, Song and Swamp).  I added four on the south Wastewater properties this morning (Savannah, Field, Vesper and Grasshopper).  One was wearing jewelry by Brian.


This light morph Rough-legged Hawk was still hanging around southwest of the model airplane field.


I could have used the Great Egret (posted below).  Sometimes they're at the Clay Pond, but all I saw there today was this Tree Swallow sitting on the fence.  


I left for the State Game Area and Lane's Landing around 8:00 instead of birding the Wastewater north of Apple.  There were 38 species up there, but nothing new for the year (maybe because it was still cold).  Barred Owl called and Wilson's Snipe winnowed at SGA; Sora laughed at Lane's Landing.

Also laughing, I imagine, are Feller, Charlie, Ken and the rest of the gang when they find out that today's sparrows finally put me over 100 Michigan species for this year.  Not that any of them are counting.

No comments: