Tuesday, May 17, 2016

103 Species at State Game Area Saturday


May 16 Email to North American Migration Counters:

I just finished all my personal data entry for Saturday.  Here are my results from the Muskegon State Game Area.  I ended the day with 103 species -- exactly my long-term average. My bird count, 549, was by far my lowest ever.  I'll move on to incorporating your lists, and then we'll see what else shows up.

- Brian (Johnson)

Canada Goose4
Wood Duck8
Mallard6
Blue-winged Teal1
Green-winged Teal2
Hooded Merganser4
American Bittern1
Great Blue Heron2
Turkey Vulture3
Sora1
Sandhill Crane2
American Woodcock8
Mourning Dove6
Eastern Screech-Owl2
Great Horned Owl1
Barred Owl2
Belted Kingfisher1
Red-bellied Woodpecker2
Downy Woodpecker3
Hairy Woodpecker3
Northern Flicker7
PIleated Woodpecker1
Eastern Wood-Pewee1
Least Flycatcher1
Great Crested Flycatcher2
Eastern Kingbird1
Yellow-throated Vireo4
American Crow2
Tree Swallow54
Rough-winged Swallow1
Bank Swallow1
Barn Swallow3
Black-capped Chickadee4
Sedge Wren2
Marsh Wren5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher9
Ruby-crowned Kinglet1
Eastern Bluebird3
Veery2
Wood Thrush3
American Robin10
Gray Catbird14
European Starling6
Cedar Waxwing11
Ovenbird1
Northern Waterthrush1
Blue-winged Warbler3
Nashville Warbler1
Common Yellowthroat12
American Redstart5
Magnolia Warbler1
Yellow Warbler23
Palm Warbler2
Myrtle Warbler6
Chipping Sparrow13
Song Sparrow23
Lincoln's Sparrow1
Swamp Sparrow18
White-crowned Sparrow11
Scarlet Tanager1
Northern Cardinal6
Rose-breasted Grosbeak5
Indigo Bunting1
Red-winged Blackbird36
Common Grackle17
Brown-headed Cowbird4
House Finch1
American Goldfinch12
House Sparrow3

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what's the best route to bird the SGA? I've been interested in birding it but I have no idea where to start

Ric said...

I'm not sure exactly where Brian went. SGA includes the DNR headquarters area along the Maple River, Lane's Landing, and a whole lot more. This Saturday our Big Day Count is entirely on those properties from before 5:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Click our homepage for more details. Maybe you could meet us somewhere along the way.