Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Good Birds Still at Swanson & Musketawa Trail


I drove out Heights-Ravenna Road and turned south on Swanson to check on some of the birds that Mike Boston reported below.  There was a good variety of species on the flooded field.  Unfortunately this morning they were too close to the road.


I counted and photographed them from the north before driving by.  Besides lots of Canada Geese and Mallards there were Gadwall, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal and Redhead.

Sure enough, my car scared them away when I continued south toward the Musketawa Trail.  It also scared a pair of Tundra Swans off the next puddle.


Five Sandhill Cranes and a Turkey Vulture flew over the field, and four Song Sparrows sang their territories along the trail out to the covered picnic area.  There were no waterbirds along the trail.  

I recorded 18 bird species by the time I reached the picnic table.  Then the wind blew me back to my car which unavoidably scattered all the birds off the puddles again as I drove back to Heights-Ravenna Road.

- Ric

Our own Dick Good made a Good News / Bad News discovery this afternoon at Hoffmaster State Park.  Details on our homepage.

No comments: