Saturday, August 5, 2017

After California, Birding the Nature Preserve


Four of the everyday yard birds I enjoyed at my son Andy's house in California are close relatives of four species I've enjoyed regularly behind my house this summer:

Anna's (not Ruby-throated) Hummingbird
California (not Eastern) Towhee
Lesser (not American) Goldfinch
Hooded (not Baltimore) Oriole  

This morning, back in Muskegon, I birded the Muskegon Lake Nature Preserve.  I found no Red-winged Blackbirds, Great Blue Herons or House Sparrows!

Among today's 27 species were Least Bittern (at least two, possibly four, with many flights over the marsh), Great Egret, Green Heron, Osprey, Brown Thrasher, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and lots of Northern Flickers and Marsh Wrens.

Fortunately again today my path crossed that of photographer Jerry Vis who took these beautiful images:

Great Egret

Green Heron

Least Bittern

Northern Flicker

Osprey

- Ric   (photos by Jerry Vis)

No comments: