Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pileated Woodpecker Question

.
December 22 Email:

We recently noticed a young, female Pileated Woodpecker chiseling out a hole in a large beech tree right behind our house.  Do you know if this is normal behavior for these birds?  I know that they usually drill for insects and the males excavate the holes for the nest in the spring.  It just seemed odd to me to see a female excavating a hole in the winter.  I would venture to guess she has created a place to stay warm during the cold weather but I am not sure.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick Hamlin
.
.
Rick, I don't know.  Let's see if anyone else has an answer. 
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe she has a early surprise for her mate, never know with this warm weather... Nice shot Rick

Mike VanderStelt said...

Could this be a "marking my territory" type of behaviour?
Mike VanderStelt