Sunday, March 25, 2012

Snowy Owl Pellet and Contents

.
Email March 25:
.
I found this owl pellet in the vicinity of one of the Snowy Owls at the Wastewater in January.  My wife took it to school with her. She teaches 2nd grade at Oakridge, and they dissected it last week.  I know that many people were worried that this particular owl was not eating well, but I think this series of photos might prove differently. I did not think to show a comparison of the pellet to anything to show size, but I think it was close to 4.5 inches long. In this one pellet the 2nd graders found 6 rodent skulls.  Here is a sampling of the bones found.  Keep in mind this is just a series of photos of the larger more recognizable bones.  There were many, many more.  

Rick Hamlin
.
. 



. 

5 comments:

RichH Photography said...

Before anyone asks, the quarters are mine. I only placed them there to give a size comparison.

Mike VanderStelt said...

Wow,
If i'd known all Winter that there was 50 cents in every turd --- I would have "been in on that", that's better than collecting empty's! Rick, you think of everything!
Mike VanderStelt

RichH Photography said...

No turds here Mike. The pellet is coughed up like a fur ball with everything that is not digestible. :)

Mike VanderStelt said...

here's something for you "educational" interest, if you haven't looked for it yet.
http://www.dunecraft.com/resources/Skeleton%20Pellet%20Bag%20of%20Knowledge%20-%20Vole.pdf

It would be kind of cool if you had all the parts to try and put it back together. Also, here's a somewhat helpful picture to use as a guide.

http://voles.com/Vole_Skeleton-labelled_diagram.jpg

Hey, it's something to do on the rainy days!
Mike

RichH Photography said...

Thanks for the info Mike. I sent this to my wife at school. She took the bones back to her classroom. If they decide this is a project that they can fit into the curriculum, I will try to record the results.