Thursday, November 22, 2012

Good Winter Birds


November 22 Email:

Ric,

I have been in Florida for a couple of months, but since I got back, I have some fall birds visiting our feeders.  I think I have a Pine Siskin and a Red-breasted Nuthatch in these photos.  I have been back about a week and it sure seems like we have more of the Red-breasted Nuthatches this year than in previous years.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rick Hamlin




Rick, nice portraits of both the siskin and the nuthatch.  We've also had more Red-breasted Nuthatches this year than in any previous year.  Happy Thanksgiving!  - Ric

3 comments:

Andy said...

For what its worth, the western US is experiencing an invasion of Red-breasted Nuthatches this year as well. I live in the SF Bay Area and they are normally uncommon in winter; recorded on xmas bird counts but in small numbers and in only certain habitats.

Not so this year. They are everywhere. I've heard them in San Jose near my office, in my in-laws neighborhood, and there are reports from just about every place this season.

framework said...

Rick,
I see a little "gleam in their eyes" What did you end up with for a flash for your Camera. The exposure looks great!
Mike V.

RichH Photography said...

Thanks Mike. I am using the Sigma EF 610DG Super. About half the cost of the Nikon SB910 with most of the same capabilities. These are both pretty close to the camera so I don't have the flash pointed directly at the birds. I have the flash bouncing off of the attached bounce card just to get a bit of a catch light.