Thursday, November 22, 2012

Non-Recent Eagles


November 22 Email:

The two photos attached are from Sept 1 and Oct 6 of this year.  I believe this immature eagle has been rehabbed since it is too approachable.  (It seemed to be doing better the last time we saw it.)  It's very brown and at a glance gives the impression of being a Golden Eagle.  However I'm pretty sure it's a Bald Eagle. On the Oct 6 trip we were accompanied by some members of the Grand Traverse Audubon, (Holly, Jeremy, Sam, Bruce, and a few others).  After snagging several photos of the bird in the air, they decided it was a Bald Eagle.  Jeremy was disappointed as I think it would have been a lifer for him.  Some of the recent reports of a Golden Eagle at the Wastewater are most likely this bird.  Others must have encountered this bird, so I'm hoping that if you post this it will elicit some discussion.  Maybe I'll find out I'm all wet.  Later, Ken Sapkowski



Ken, yes this is a Bald Eagle.  The only recent report I've had of a Golden Eagle was from a phone conversation with Jim Ponshair who had birded WW about two weeks ago with Dave Dister and someone else.  So their Golden Eagle would really have been a Golden Eagle.  - Ric

No comments: