Saturday, December 22, 2012

MSGA results from the Wastewater CBC


The Muskegon Wastewater Christmas Bird Count was held on December 19. I have nearly finished compiling the data, but in the meantime, here are my personal results from the survey.

As in the past several years, I hiked the trails and backwoods of the Muskegon State Game Area. During eight hours split between morning (green) and afternoon (blue) jaunts, I accrued 8.2 miles along my regular route. Mild temperatures, calm winds, no precipitation, and the lack of snow cover greatly promoted detections, but a very sparse berry and seed crop reduced the quantities of various birds. My species total of 28 matches my previous high, but I found that most of the typically common birds were relatively scarce, whereas unusual species were more prevalent.



All that hiking produced only a single Red-bellied Woodpecker (average 6.7), three Blue Jays (average 9.7), 29 Black-capped Chickadees (average 44.2), and seven White-breasted Nuthatches (average 12.4). Small obligate insectivores (Winter Wren, Brown Creeper, Golden-crowned Kinglet) and most frugivores (Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, Cedar Waxwing, and Yellow-rumped Warbler) were missed entirely. The only regulars that were significantly more numerous than usual were Hairy Woodpecker (9, mean 4.0) and American Tree Sparrow (128, mean 76.8)


On the other hand, a Great Blue Heron and a Northern Harrier were firsts for this route. A single Red Crossbill was probably my most unexpected sighting. Two Northern Flickers, one Northern Shrike, two Song Sparrows, and a flock of 16 Common Redpolls were also nice. I also encountered three Screech-Owls during my hike, and I was careful not to unduly disturb this roosting Barred Owl when I paused to take a few photos.

Brian Johnson

No comments: