Monday, September 9, 2013

Geese at Holland


September 8 Email:

This sighting is a little south of you in Holland, but I think it's worth reporting.  My wife and I photographed two Greater White Fronted Geese (domestic Graylag Geese -- read Comments) at the Dutch Village yesterday. This is on James street off of US 31. They were with a group of Mallards and Canada Geese.  It looked to me like they have been there for awhile, but I'm not sure about that.  Here is one picture.  The reflections are from orange flowers that were growing nearby.
Thanks,
Rich Schadle


Rich, thanks for the report and photo.  The location, your suspicions, and the small amount of white near the bill have me wondering if this is a wild bird, and/or hybrid, and/or "Farmus Domesticus".  Thanks in advance to anyone with more knowledge of geese for clarifying this.  - Ric

2 comments:

Nathan DeBruine said...

Looks to me like a domestic Graylag Goose

Ric said...

Thanks, Nathan. This morning Rich himself emailed me similar information: "Hi Ric,I did some more research and I think I found the answer. It looks like this is a greylag goose. That makes more sense. Thanks for your help! - Rich"