Saturday, June 27, 2015

Lake Harbor and Black Lake on Saturday


I walked around Lake Harbor Park after breakfast this morning.  Not surprisingly, it was quieter birdwise and busier peoplewise than a month ago.

The "best" bird was a small tern flying south over the beach.  Its upper primaries were very light so I took it as a Forster's Tern (unfortunately, because it's the Common I need for Michigan this year).  

Others among 18 species were this Herring Gull asking for its portrait on the north channel light,


a Belted Kingfisher, lots of Bank Swallows (this juvenile on a cable along the south side of the channel),


and a Northern Cardinal singing atop a high snag, then dropping toward another male in the trees below.



Later at Black Lake Park there were 22 bird species including Great Blue Heron, Great Crested Flycatcher, Warbling & Red-eyed Vireos, Eastern Bluebird, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, Indigo Bunting and Baltimore Oriole.

I'm assuming these two dragonflies on the field near the entrance are common species.  Thanks to anyone (Charlie? Greg?) who I.D.'s them in the comments below.



- Ric

2 comments:

Charlie DeWitt said...

The top dragonfly is a Halloween Pennant, looks like a female to me. The other one is a female Widow Skimmer.

Charlie DeWitt

Ric said...

Widow Skimmer I've seen before, but I don't think Halloween Pennant. Thanks, Charlie.