Monday, June 29, 2015

Sapsuckers & Avocet but No Scoter


Excerpts from Monday June 29 Email:

... By the way, today I bumped into two, or maybe three, yellow-bellied sapsuckers down fairly close to the end of Brickyard Road (about 150 yards north of the bridge over Little Cedar Creek), on the north side of the Muskegon River in the Muskegon State Game Area.  This is a mile away from the place where Brian Johnson had seen a sapsucker about four Junes ago.

Also by the way, I went from the State Game Area to the Wastewater, where the American avocet is still present, and where I finally happened upon the Eared Grebes; I couldn't find the scoter, though, and that's despite stopping and scoping a couple of times on each side of the lagoons -- I'm starting to think that it's really gone. 

- Phil Chu

No comments: