Saturday, January 30, 2016

Saturday: No Woodpeckers, No Owls


I added six new species to my Year List this morning from the Muskegon Channel to Lakeside Cemetary to the Five Lakes to the Wastewater.

Aside from the many Mallards and Common Goldeneyes near the channel, "better ducks" were Greater Scaup, Bufflehead, Common and Red-breasted Mergansers and one Long-tailed Duck near the inner red lighthouse by the Coast Guard station.

I couldn't find Carol's woodpecker (see post below) in three slow circles of Lakeside Cemetary, but I almost ran over five Wild Turkeys in Carr Road just beyond the Five Lakes.


No owls were visible at the Wastewater.  Horned Larks fed here and there on the roads and fields.  I saw four Bald Eagles (1 adult), a Red-tailed Hawk, two light-morph Rough-legged Hawks, an American Kestrel, dozens of American Crows (but no ravens) and a flock of ten Cedar Waxwings by the headquarters building.  

- Ric

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We might have seen each other at the wastewater, I was out there for a couple hours late this morning

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ric said...

I saw a couple other people I knew driving regular cars; any chance you were driving a truck?

Unknown said...

Yep, the big silver truck is mine