Thursday, February 18, 2016

Banded Goldfinches and Cedar Waxwings


Yesterday morning I was able to photograph a banded American Goldfinch high in our backyard maple tree (Fruitport Township).  I sent these cropped and severely enhanced images to Brian Johnson.



Brian couldn't discern any numbers on the band but is certain she's one of "his birds" based on the shiny condition of the band, its being on the right leg, there being no other banders in this area, and his having banded more than a dozen goldfinches this winter in Mona Shores (more than a mile from my yard as the goldfinch flies).  If you live within a couple miles of the Muskegon County Airport, you might look twice at your goldfinches for jewelry by Brian.

This morning as I was swearing softly because a flock of House Sparrows had found our side yard feeder, I looked into the spruce branches and discovered two Cedar Waxwings; so I stopped swearing at the sparrows.

- Ric

No comments: