Friday, February 12, 2016

Gray Catbird at Duck Creek Open Space


During the chilly the afternoon of February 11, while hiking Fruitland Township's Duck Creek open space, I encountered a lone Gray Catbird beside Duck Creek. After being flushed, it silently devoured rose hips amidst thick brush. While I have seen Brown Thrasher and Northern Mockingbird during the winter in Muskegon County, this represents my first Catbird.

Catbirds typically arrive in the Muskegon area about May 1, though I have found them as early as April 20. At the Muskegon Lake Preserve banding station, they are one of the most abundant fall captures. Peak numbers occur around September 12, nearly all have vacated by October 12, and my latest records have been November 2 and December 11.


As for the location, birders interested in a primitive but reasonably short hiking excursion may want to explore this natural area. Owned by Fruitland Township, the Duck Creek open space (I am not aware of a formal name) comprises 240 acres in Sections 16 and 21 (an area enclosed by Duck Lake, Orshall, Michillinda, and Simonelli Roads). Muskegon County offers better and easier birding spots, but this site presents an interesting alternative to the more crowded locations. I have yet to encounter another birder or hiker here.

There are two access points. In the winter, I park at the Fruitland Township fire station beside Duck Lake Road Park. I follow logging trails north thru cutover mixed oak/white pine forest. The birding here is not particularly productive, but the isolation makes for a peaceful jaunt. I continue off-trail and descend the slope to Duck Creek. While brushy and wet, this area provides excellent habitat and is the prettiest stretch of the property. I bushwhack east beside the creek to the Duck/Scholes Creek fork and follow the main branch southeast to the property boundary. I then ascend the slope, cut thru the logged area, and follow additional trails back to the parking area. This route comprises about 2.1 miles.



Once the snow melts, I may instead park at a primitive parking lot just west of Simonelli Road between Riley-Thompson and Todd Roads. Here, I follow an ATV trail circuit thru the uplands between Duck Creek and Scholes Creek. The east part of the hike encloses a red pine plantation, while the west part encompasses oak forest. A descent to either creek yields better bird diversity. The walking is an easy 1.5 miles.


- Brian Johnson

No comments: