Saturday, April 16, 2016

Beautiful Morning at the State Park


I birded Muskegon State Park this morning from Snug Harbor out to Lost Lake, my first beautifully comfortable bird walk of the year.  Most of the 34 bird species were the usual suspects.  For awhile I had the company of Larry and Kay Kotzian and their friends, human and canine.


Winter Wrens are my nemesis, but this morning two were singing along the Lost Lake Trail and one popped up for a photograph.  Hermit Thrushes were moving through the park in small groups; Kay and I also saw a non-hermie thrush (Gray-cheeked or Swainson's).  Northern Flickers were plentiful and noisy as was a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers.


This Pied-billed Grebe dove when I arrived at Lost Lake, then stayed on the far side until I left.  Other species around there included Red-shouldered Hawk, Chipping Sparrow, Sandhill Crane and Belted Kingfisher.

- Ric

No comments: