Sunday, April 24, 2016

Piping Plover at Meinert Park


April 24 Email:

Hi Ric,

Just wanted to pass on to you that on Friday I observed a Piping Plover on the beach between Meinert Park and Flower Creek Dunes Preserve in northern Muskegon county.  The bird is banded and I was able to get some good photos of both bird and bands.  I passed this along to Alice Van Zoeren (Piping Plover Recovery Program) and USFWS.  The individual has been identified.  I won't be able to get back up there until tomorrow to check on the bird.  Wondering if you could pass the word to any MCNC folks who might be headed up that way today.  It would be great to keep tabs on this bird in the event it decides to nest in the area (although not great habitat for nesting in the immediate vicinity). 

Thanks,
Jill Henemyer

.

Thanks, Jill.  Maybe they didn't give you the I.D. information and there's not much chance, but I'll check with Carol Cooper to see if it might be "Bahama Mama" or its mate or kids which Carol monitored last year at Muskegon State Park.  If anyone gets up there to look for this bird, please let us know whether you see it or not.  Thanks!  - Ric

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is not Bahama Mama. It is one from North Manitou. It was hatched at Silver Lake in 2013. My contact person said it is most likely on its way back to manitou.