Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Piping Plover at Muskegon County Wastewater

.
 Piping Plover

Piping Plover

While birding the Wastewater today Feller and I met Dave Elbrect from Grand Rapids.  He said that there was a Piping Plover in the small drawn down cell (the same one that the American Avocets were found in).  Feller and I checked it out and found the plover on the east side of the cell. Thanks, Dave!

As far as I can tell the right leg is banded orange on top, yellow on bottom.  The left leg band looks like a white or light gray on top and a blue or dark green on the bottom. The bird was a long way off for my camera/lens.

- Charlie DeWitt

This morning Mike Boston emailed that he had photographed the Piping Plover at the Wastewater before 8:00 but was unable to post it.  Below is the photo that Mike took.  If you open it in a new tab and zoom in, you can see some of the band colors that Charlie described.  - Ric


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have sent a note of to my contact person of this spotting.

Charlie DeWitt said...

Thanks Carol.

Charlie DeWitt