Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bobcat at MSGA


Although similar to last year in timing, early spring arrivals have obviously been a few weeks behind longer-term normals. At last, various blackbirds, Robins, Song Sparrows, Sandhill Cranes, Killdeer, Woodcock, and assorted waterfowl are appearing in decent numbers. However, my most interesting encounter in the last couple days has been of the furry kind. While hiking the Muskegon State Game Area on March 28, I was fortunate to spot this Bobcat before it saw me.

Brian Johnson



1 comment:

Ric said...

Brian, on Saturday morning (Mar. 29) I may have seen that animal. A cat ran from behind the headquarters building into the brush west of the bridge along the south riverbank and stopped for a few seconds to look back at me from about a hundred yards. My view before it disappeared was approximately like your second photo; I never saw the tail and the coat seemed a brighter gold/orange especially on the back (unlike your photos). I chalked it up as a feral cat, which maybe it was. But looking at your second photo (the face and chest match), and considering the location, it might also have been this animal. I wish now that I'd paid it more attention!